Saturday, November 24, 2007

About This Blog

This is a companion blog to the blogs JACK ARMY and JILL ARMY to document our exploration of Hawaii while stationed here at Schofield Barracks. The posts will mix history, reviews, fun and interesting facts and trivia about what we find here. Admittedly, most of our posts will be focused on sites and activities on Oahu, but we'll definitely update you on any adventures to any of the other islands.

It is important to note that this blog reflects our opinions and impressions of what we see and do here. If we take "freebies" or money from someone to review their business here in Hawaii, it will be on the condition that it does not influence our review. If it's a great place to visit, then we'll tell you that. If it just plain sucks, then we'll tell you that, too. But we're not trying to hurt feelings or fish for freebies, just laying the ground rules.

The primary purpose of this blog is to have fun. That means that this isn't the place for political, religious or anything-else arguments or even conversations. Want to tell us what it was like when you visited in 1976? Bring it on. Want to tell us that what you think about the president (any of them) or the war (any of them) then buzz off. This ain't the place for that.

Having said all that, there's only one think left to say:

ALOHA!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aloha, Y'all and welcome to Hawaii! I can see already that you're the kind of visitors who will love Hawaii and get the most out of your time here. You'll visit my Waianae Coast (and beyond) some day, probably the day you decide to hike Kaena Point or watch one of the surfing tournaments at Makaha Beach during the winter swells. I've been here twelve years and there's one thing I can guarantee you: you'll never run out of beautiful places to visit and wonders to behold. I hope your time here brings you joy!

Oh, and hey: mahalo for your service.

JACK ARMY said...

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, but we've been here for two years already, granted more than one of those I've spent in Iraq, but still.

So, we've been to the beaches on the Waianae side, Bellows, Waikiki, Ko Olina, and on and on... I just now got around to blogging specifically about our adventures here in Hawaii.

But you are right, we are having a great time here and are trying to make the most of it. We don't quite feel like tourists, since we live here, but we aren't quite residents either. Regardless, we're having a blast in paradise!

Anonymous said...

Great idea, JA! Love the pictures and seeing parts of Hawaii that we might miss on a short trip there!

We went to Kauai in '90 and about a year later watched a hurricane hit the new hotel we stayed at and a pretty "tunnel" of trees we drove through often. We only had a half day in Oahu and used it to see the Arizona.

Looking forward to seeing more of your adventures in paradise with Jill!

Joyce said...

Branching out into travel & tourism advice T?

Viewed from my cold little corner of the planet, I have to say it hurt just a little bit to see Jill in shorts on a beach.

Yesterday, it was 30 degs out on my run. I went out in the 30 degs because that was WARMER then it has been for the past week, and I haven't been out running for 10 days because of the weather.
I had the following layers on:
Under Armor, Polar 300, and a reflective wind jacket. The reflective wind jacket was needed because the sun now sets at 4 pm. I had to wear two pairs of running pants, one of them similar to Under Armor. That's cold weather sports wear, btw.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE seeing the pretty beaches and great surf, but unless I turn my heat up to 80, I won't be wearing any shorts for a good 6 months.

Enjoy the lovely tropical weather T!

Since this is a Hawai'i specific blog, I have a special request. I've always wondered how Hawai'ians decorate for the holidays. Can you post a few pics of the islands decked out for the season?

Belated Happy Thanksgiving. Glad you made it back home!

Add to Technorati Favorites